As far as skincare treatments are concerned, men have kept it simple. However, nowadays, more and more men are concerned about their skin, letting them follow the skincare regime and learn more about how to take care of their skin and body. Though there are important differences between the skin of men and women- for instance, men’s skin is thicken compared to women’s, the basic elements of an effective skincare routine remain the same.
Firstly, it is important for every man to identify and understand their skin type:
- Sensitive skin may burn or sting after using certain products
- Normal skin is not sensitive
- Dry skin is itchy, rough or flaky
- Oily skin is greasy and shiny
- Combination skin is oily in some areas and dry in others
Understanding the type of your skin will help you find the right skincare treatment and products. Here are a few tips recommended by dermatologists for men to develop a healthy skincare routine.
- Consider the product ingredients and labels- The skincare product you choose will depend on the type of your skin. If you have acne-prone skin, choose moisturizers and cleansers that are “non-comedogenic” or “oil-free” as these products will not clog your pores. For men who have sensitive skin, use “fragrance-free”, mild products as the products that contain fragrances can cause skin irritation and make it dry. However, be cautious about products labelled, “unscented” as many of these consists of masking fragrances that can irritate the skin.
- Keep an eye on your shaving methods- For some male, multi-blade razors can work well or shave too closely to the skin. If you experience razor burns, ingrown hairs, razor bumps then, you must use a single or double blade razor. And never stretch your skin when you shave. Before you start shaving, make your skin and hair wet so that it becomes soft. After shaving, make it a point to use moisturizing shaving cream. After each swipe, rinse the razor and change your blade after using it for five to seven times to avoid skin irritation.
- Moisturize regularly- Moisturizer works by trapping water in your skin, which can make your skin look bright and young. For enjoying the best results, apply moisturizer on your face and body just after shaving or bathing while the skin is damp.
- Check your skin daily- New moles or spots on the skin that causes itching, bleeding or the ones that change colour can be the early signs of skin cancer. If you find any kind of suspicious spots, make sure you contact your dermatologist. Men who are more than 50 years have a higher risk of developing melanoma (the deadliest form of skin cancer). However, if caught early, skin cancer can be treated.
- Wear sunscreen when going out- To avoid any kind of sun damage that can cause age spots, wrinkles, always apply sunscreen before stepping out. Apply a broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen with an SPF 30 for best skin protection. You can also wear protective clothing to protect your skin from harmful sun rays.
Every man’s skin is different and there is no one treatment that suits all. If you are not sure what type of skin you have, or you don’t know how to take care of your skin, consult a certified dermatologist.