Does not matter if you have thin hair, curly hair, dry hair, or curly hair- some hair care tips remain universal. While you may want to follow a hair care routine as per your hair type, the basics of hair care are quite significant to know. To apply oil or not, to condition or not condition your hair- when it comes to your hair, you will get different bits of advice from different people. When your mother will tell you to oil your hair, your hairdresser may recommend you go for a hair spa, hair strengthening treatment, etc. That is why we are sharing some of the top useful hair care tips that will help you to take better care of your hair.
Before you decide to follow any of these tips to take care of hair, here are a few important things that you must keep in mind. The first important step in hair care is a proper diet. Your diet must contain two vital things like protein and iron. The hair cells are the fastest-growing cells in the human body. However, they get affected badly if you do not follow a proper diet or suffer from deficiencies as they are not needed for survival.
You must include iron-rich foods like fish, leafy vegetables, beans, pumpkin seeds, soybeans, cereals, and chickpea. According to doctors, you must consume nearly 12 mg of iron regularly. You need protein also as it plays a vital role in strengthening your hair. You must include proteins that have amino acids like milk, peas, cheese, yogurt, and quinoa.
Basic hair care tips for maintaining healthy hair
- It is normal to lose around 100 to 150 strands of hair daily so do not worry if you see a bunch of hair crawling on your floor.
- Comb your wet hair with care as they are delicate and prone to breakage. Experts suggest using a wide-toothed comb. Make sure you comb from the roots to the ends of your hair.
- Trim your hair every few weeks. This will help you to get rid of those rough split ends. Every 6 to 8 weeks, cut your hair to avoid split ends.
- Do not wash your hair regularly. Whenever you do, you must apply some conditioner. Make sure you use the shampoo and conditioner of the same brand.
- Wash off the conditioner using cold water as it strengthens the hair and makes it shiny.
- Just like you check the labels on the food items, it is important to check the labels of your shampoo too. There are many brands that use sulfate in their shampoos. What are sulfates? This is the ingredient that causes lather. They clean your hair and scalp. However, some researchers suggest that sulfates take away the essential oils from your hair. This is the reason why your eye stings when shampoo goes inside your eyes accidentally. If you feel any type of irritation on your scalp or find your hair becomes dry, then try using a shampoo that is sulfate-free.
- Those who have dry hair must avoid coloring. One of the important winter hair care tips is before going out spray a mix of lemon juice and water. You can even wash your hair using brewed chamomile tea after you wash them using shampoo or mix honey to water for washing your hair.
Apart from these hair care tips for dry hair, here are some top useful hair care tips that will ensure the health of your hair. From homemade hair care tips to hair masks and serums, we have covered everything.
Wash your hair with lukewarm water
Showers with lukewarm water may make you feel relaxed, but it is not worth it. Using hot water to wash your hair can take away all the essential oils, which can make it dry and dull. So, the next time you take a shower, do not forget to adjust the temperature. Always try to use lukewarm water as it helps to get rid of dirt, without being harsh on your hair.
Condition your hair
Chances are you already know that you must use a hair conditioner, but are you sure that you are using it in the right way? Think which part of your hair gets greasy first- mainly the roots and use it as a reminder to apply conditioner. Do not apply conditioner near the roots. Always apply it from the middle of your hair to the end. While applying a hair conditioner, try to distribute it all over your hair. You can use a wide-toothed comb to detangle your hair applying conditioner.
Apply shampoo on the scalp
A conditioner should be applied to the length and ends of your hair. However, shampoo must be applied on the scalp. Washing just the lengths and ends of your hair can wash away the moisture and make them a lackluster, dry, and dull. Your scalp is the area that needs cleaning, so when you shampoo, keep all your efforts focused on your roots and scalp.
Be extra thorough with washing
You are almost ready to come out of the shower, and which means washing out any remaining item. Be sure to thorough with washing all the things out, as any leftover product can cause a buildup.
Do not dry your hair using a towel
A towel is an obvious tool used for removing excess water and dry your hair after a shower, but it may not be the best option. One of the top useful hair care tips is to squeeze out excess water and then dry it using an old cotton t-shirt. This is important because it is gentler compared to a towel.
Protect your hair prior to heat styling
All of us love our hair after a heat styling or blowout session, but too much heat styling can do harm to your hair. While we would not expect you to part with your hot tools totally, it is a must to make a small adjustment when you use heat to style your hair. First, you must apply a protective layer. Spritz on a heat protectant before using a blow dryer, curling, or straightening your hair, which is one of the most significant hair care tips for dry hair.
Blow-dry using a brush
Blow drying your hair may not be an easy task, but you can make the process simple by adding a round brush to the mix. Make sure you brush your hair in the same direction in which you are blow-drying and use this brush to pull your hair straight for better results. When you are at it, make sure you use blow-dryer from roots to the end, and not the opposite way. This will help you to avoid frizz.
Curl and straighten only dry hair
Have you seen what happens when you drop some water on a hot pan? Do you want to do the same thing with your hair? If not, do not use a hair straightener or curling iron when your hair is wet or damp. It is worth the wait to allow your hair to get dried completely, whether that means air drying or drying your hair with a blow dryer.
Trim your split ends
One of the top useful hair care tips is to trim your split ends. Instead of sealing them, book an appointment with your hairdresser and chop them off. Hair is already dead, so when you see the first split end, experts suggest trimming it.